This side-saddle came from the Chequers public house in Leominster, Herefordshire, England, and is dated at c. 1800, although styles like this were already known in the latter part of the eighteenth century. The Ward family had lived at the pub for 200 years and it was discovered in the attics when the pub was sold. Two-horned, it has fairly square skirts, with a highly decorated stitched safe, and a slipper stirrup. The original seat is plain; the decorated covering shown is a later addition, stitched at the cantle, and held on with a strap around the pommels. It is of a design used from the late eighteenth century.
Compare this style with the c. 1799 side-saddle in the exhibits, which shows the plain seat beneath the covering.
Return to Side-saddle exhibits