Made by a Welsh saddler from Llandeilo, this two-horned side-saddle probably dates from the 1820s, as it does not have the third (lower) pommel, the leaping head, which wasn't invented until 1830. This also has a more rounded style than earlier side-saddles (compare it with the c. 1800 and the squarer-shaped c. 1799 side-saddles in the Museum), and an attractively stitched offside handkerchief pocket. The offside pommel, too, is not quite as pronounced as the earlier-dated side-saddles. Although it has no quilted safe, it does possess a nicely tooled fixed head (see picture below).
Return to Side-saddle exhibits