Scott safety stirrup
The Scott safety stirrup was patented in 1885 by ironmonger John Scott, of Hampson and Scott, Clarence Works, Walsall in the Midlands. The inner stirrup split open to release the foot in an emergency, a design which won a medal in 1885. The stirrup was later improved in 1893, by the removal of the stop at the base of the stirrup - this mean't that it could be released in either direction, so could be fitted without worry. The above photographs show the Scott stirrup in open, and closed, mode, this example being pre-1893 as it shows the 'stop' with its one-way opening..
Return to Side-saddles exhibits